Thursday, March 8, 2012

Concentration and Juggling Stories

Do you ever find it hard to concentrate on a story? Right now, I'm puttering around with three stories and not making much progress on any of them. The stories are all pretty much formed in my head but getting them down feels like pulling my own teeth with a pair of pliers.

Part of problem is that I'm waiting on editorial notes from two other projects that have been accepted and are supposed to be published this month. I hate getting deep into a story and then having to turn it off to work on something that's already been kicked out the door. Yeah, the fun part of writing for me is putting down a new story.

I really don't mind the editing process, it's a necessary part of the work. I just find it difficult to concentrate on new stories while the old ones are still swimming around in the back of my mind, playing over and over again, as I look for ways to improve what's already written.

Does anyone else have this problem of concentrating on more than one project at a time or is it just my old timer's mind that likes working on one thing at a time until it's finished?

10 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Right now I have two stories almost done, two percolating and two done but ailing in some way. It drives me crazy when this happens. I just spin my wheels.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, it seems the more you're working on, the less you get done :)

Al Tucher said...

I usually don't have a problem with juggling, but right now I'm exactly where you are, Sandra. I have three stories in the works, and I'm stuck in all three. And come to think of it, I'm also waiting on a couple of editors.

Ron Scheer said...

I try to keep no more than one fiction project going at a time. It gets too confusing and counter-productive otherwise.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It never works out that way--working on one at a time. It would be nice though

Oscar Case said...

One at a time, but the other one keeps barging in.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, one at a time is best, but sometimes we tend to over-commit ourselves. And, of course, when you're working a dozen other ideas will present themselves :)

Al Tucher said...

It doesn't usually bother me to have several stories going, but it does when all of them have me baffled at once. Like now.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, I think that's the problem, Al. None of them seem to know where they want to go.

G. B. Miller said...

I used to have a couple of stories going on at the same time, but eventually stopped when the stories became very supbar and bleech when they were completed.

Now I deal with one wordy headache at a time.