Monday, October 17, 2011

Prompts

Don't forget that tomorrow is the deadline for Patti Abbott's flash fiction challenge. I've got mine finished except for a bit of spit and polish. I usually know a story is done when I can read through it without changing anything :)

I love prompts when I'm writing because they make me think longer and harder before I put down that first word. When you know that a large group of fantastic writers are going to be using the same prompt you're forced to find an idea that you don't think anyone else will think of, too. Most prompts leave you with two or three great ideas that everyone else will think of, so you have to reach for the fifth or sixth or maybe the eleven-hundredth idea so your story will be original.

My piece for tomorrow is a bit out there. Scrolling through all of Reginald Marsh's paintings on the 'net was a bit overwhelming. Trying to find something that sparked an idea was easy, but when I stumbled across some of his black and white pencil drawings, the muse really kicked in.

First was this sketch called "The Locomotive" http://www.questroyalfineart.com/4855/the-locomotive.html Something about the picture just drew me in. But I couldn't find a story in this wonderful sketch. So, I started scrolling again and found this amazing sketch called "East Tenth Street Jungle" http://harrisschrank.com/east-tenth-street-jungle-1st-state.htm and everything fell into place.

The Jungle sketch is a look at the depression era and is so full of life and hurt and human beings at their worst that the words spilled, even pulling in the locomotive for the final scene. And the odd thing is, I don't feel like the story is finished with me. While the flash is complete in itself, I loved this world I created and hope to someday revisit this story and add in all the back story that filled my head as I was writing.

What about you, do you love or hate prompts? Do they help or just stall out your brain by making you over think an idea?

9 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

Prompts and submmission guidelines seem to offer a needed focus and discipline. This is the first time I've completed a flash fiction story and the first time I've responded to a FFC. It's up on my blog. Drop by.

sandra seamans said...

I tried to comment on your blog, Ron, but google says I don't exist :)

But, oh boy, that was a great piece of flash with a perfectly twisted ending!

Al Tucher said...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I hate prompts except when I love them. Or maybe it's vice versa. I feel inadequate when a challenge leaves me blank, but some challenges have brought forth stories that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

sandra seamans said...

I know exactly what you mean, Al! For some reason, Patti's challenges always bring a story out of me that I didn't even know was there. Other challenges, I get nothing and wonder if I've gone brain dead.

Barb Goffman said...

Love prompts! Wish I had more time to work on my shorts lately.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Going back to your statement, that you know that a story is done when you can read it without changing anything. That never happens for me so instead I keep changing and changing until I can feel it is overworked. Even when a story has been accepted, I keep sending them changes. And after I see it in print, I still wish I had changed things. I am not a perfectionist with almost anything but something here needs addressing.

sandra seamans said...

Oh, I have times I wish I could unsend a story, Patti, and cringe when I see some of my stories after publication (especially from years ago) but I try not to tweak a story to death. Mostly when I read through, I'm looking for repeat words and phrases, places where one word could replace three and things like that. You know, the putting in and taking out of commas :)


No shorts, Barbara?!? And yes, prompts are fun to work with.

Barb Goffman said...

I'm working on revisions to my first novel, Sandy. I plan to get back to my shorts when the book is done. Soon, hopefully.

sandra seamans said...

Good luck with your novel, Barb!!