Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Who Said Shorts are Dead?

If you're looking for short stories to read, drop on over to Spinetingler where Brian Lindenmuth has gathered together a long list of collections and anthologies that out now or soon will be. http://www.spinetinglermag.com/2011/08/15/2011-short-story-collections-anthologies/

Not included on the list but well worth a read are two from Snubnose Press. Anthology "Speedloader", and a collection from Keith Rawson called "The Chaos We Knew". And available soon will be "Monkey Justice" from Patti Abbott and "Gumbo Ya-Ya" from Les Edgerton. http://snubnosepress.wordpress.com/news And Snubnose is still open to submissions for collections, novellas, and novel length fiction.

And from Brian came this great article about putting together a novel that is actually a collection of short stories. I have been writing connected short stories for years, nice to see that there's actually a market for them. At the end of the article you'll find a list of novels done in short stories. And it's a long one! http://www.thecoachellareview.com/blog/?p=550

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks yet again for keeping us all 'in the loop', Sandra.
Short story dead? Never!
Best,
Col

sandra seamans said...

Yes, it's hard to keep up with all the new anthologies, so it's great when folks like Brain post a list like this.

Chris Rhatigan said...

In my opinion, there's more life in the short story than the full-length novel. Certainly not as many readers, but more interesting ideas and approaches to writing.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, I agree, Chris. There's also so much more freedom to experiment and find your way through a story. And to write about subjects that wouldn't work at novel length.

Brian Lindenmuth said...

And if I've missed any please let me know and I'll add them. I'll also update the list as the year goes on. It benefits me as much as anyone else to have the list in one place.

Are there any anthologies coming out from the big publishers. There's usually always a couple each year.

Ron Scheer said...

Thanks for the heads-up about the Coachella Review. Those folks are just across the valley from me, and I didn't know they were there.

Conda Douglas said...

Sandra, IMO, there's no better time to be a short story writer.There are more and more readers of short stories and more and more markets (including self publishing!) every day, it seems to me. I love it!

Katherine Tomlinson said...

I didn't realize how much I loved short stories until I was asked to make a list of my favorites and came up with about a hundred off the top of my head.

sandra seamans said...

I think MWA and SIC both have anthologies out, Brian. I'll keep watch for more :)

Isn't funny how we miss what's in our own backyards, Ron?

I agree, Conda, it's a wonderful time to be short story writer!

Short stories tend to stick with readers for a long time, Katherine. I think it's probably because they pack a faster, more powerful punch than a novel can