Monday, July 18, 2011

Letting Go

Have you ever kept beating your head up against the wall of a story that just didn't want to be written? I have this terrific beginning and I know almost where the story is going but the damn thing just won't come together. I've changed from first to third person, still doesn't work. Gone from 1800 down to 800, nada. Even dropping the first paragraph didn't bring it together. So there I am, stuck in park.

All the while I was beating my head against those 1000 words, I had a character that I'd created for a story in Pulp Ink knocking back from the other side of the wall. I closed the first file and started typing in a new one and now have a 3000 word story finished and awaiting a final polish.

Sometimes you just have to let go to move forward.

8 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

This is the story of my life. And I am getting sick of it.

sandra seamans said...

I know the feeling, Patti. But if I don't move on, I wind up with nothing written which is also bad. Of course, maybe later something will come to me that will make the story work (fingers crossed)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sandra! I'm going to try doing the same thing you did. Maybe I'll be able to produce the new story that's still in my head & then go back to the one I'm stuck on. I'll never know if I don't try it.

sandra seamans said...

Sometimes when you're working on something new, it frees your mind to find ways to work through the old story. Good luck!

Al Tucher said...

I agree, Sandra. Move on, but also keep in mind that you can go back. I recently had a breakthrough on something I had put away several times over a period of at least five years.

sandra seamans said...

I have stories like that, too, Albert! I'm finally learning how to use those scraps by folding them into new stories. I'm finding the hardest part for me is letting go of the oringal idea and allowing it to be something new.

Stephen D. Rogers said...

Hey Sandra,

Feel free to send me whatever you have. Sometimes a fresh eye sees an ending that's already there.

Stephen

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, Stephen! I had a bit of a breakthrough today that I'm hoping will work, but I might just take you up on your offer once I see where it's going.