Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Searching

So I spent an hour or so looking for a market for my Apocalypse story. Do you ever find that after you've written a story, editors are no longer looking for stories in that genre? Last year I was finding all sorts of end of the world anthologies, now all I can find is zombie themed anthologies. Sigh. I wish ideas would find my brain sooner.

Anyhoo. I did find a helpful site for all you newbies out there called TeacherWriter http://teacherwriter.net On this site you'll find market postings, weekly prompts and all sorts of writing tips. Very helpful site.

2 comments:

Mike Wilkerson said...

Know what you mean. I have a couple of stories, one complete and the other 90% there, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out where to submit. Theme is one part of the issue, the other is length. I have a noir western at 6,400 words. Guess how many ezines/magazines show interest for this subject at this length. Zero...so far.

I think now is the time, for me, where I quit worrying about the right publisher and focus on how well written my story is. After all, even the big shot literary magz say if the story is good, then theme doesn't matter. Worth a shot.

sandra seamans said...

Westerns seem to cross into all the magazines. I was surprised to read the WWA spur awards list for shorts this year. the winner was published in Glimmer Train, runners up in Orion Mag and the Kensington Review. Last year's were Hardboiled Magazine, Express Westerns and High Desert Journal. So if you can go literary, I'd say go for it, you might have better luck with them.