Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Links and a Question

Just a few links today. Spinetingler has continued its Conversations with the Bookless this week http://www.spinetinglermag.com with Steve Weedle, Jodi MacArthur, Matthew Funk, and Matthew McBride.

Speaking of the Conversations series, a former interviewee, Claude Lalumiere, is being interviewed over at Black Gate. Nice to see short story writers getting attention. You can read the first half of the interview here http://www.blackgate.com/2011/04/17/an-interview-with-claude-lalumiere-part-one/ The second half will be posted next week.

From Brian Lindenmuth we have a link to an essay about rewriting scenes. Theres some great tips here http://internspills.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-ten-reasons-you-should-rewrite-that.html

And finally my question. Are there any living mystery/crime female short story writers out there with a body of work that compares to, say, Edward D. Hoch? I know Joyce Carol Oates is considered a mystery writer but she's more often than not lumped into the literary genre. I know of quite a few female writers online but I'm searching for an older female writer known for her mystery short story work.

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I remember Ruth Rendell use to have frequent stories in EQMM. From Wikipedia:

Short story collections
The Fallen Curtain (1976)
Means of Evil (1979) (five Inspector Wexford stories)
The Fever Tree (1982)
The New Girlfriend (1985)
The Copper Peacock (1991)
Blood Lines (1995)
Piranha to Scurfy (2000)
Collected Short Stories, Volume 1 (2006)
Collected Short Stories, Volume 2 (2008)

pattinase (abbott) said...

JCO probably has more crime fiction and noir stories than anyone else. Most of her stories would fall into that category better than literary. Mary Higgins Clark has several volumes of short stories and Patricia Highsmith has at least one collection. Margaret Allingham has about ten collections of stories and novellas. Sayers has several too. Laura Lippman has at least one collecion. I can give you titles of the collections if that helps.

sandra seamans said...

Both Sayers and Highsmith have passed away, Patti. I thought of Flannery O'Connor, too.

I know the others except for Margaret Allingham. I'll look her up.

I'm looking for living women who are best know for their short story work and JCO seems to fill that bill best at the moment. I was just looking for others.

I didn't realize that Rendell had written so many short stories, David. I've read a few in anthologies but didn't realize she had so many collections available. I always think of her as a novelist.

I'm wondering if there will be even fewer with the short story output of Hoch as there are fewer markets than when he and his contemporaries were starting out.