Thursday, April 7, 2011

The "Did I Hear That Right?" Story Cupboard

Years ago I read an essay by Harlan Ellison about how he purposely misheard what people were saying and turned those misheard sentences into short stories. His example of Necco Wafers turning into Necro Waiters has stuck with me over the years and whenever I mishear anything, I file it away for future use.


Thanks to a SMFS member who contacted me off-list, here is the link to a portion of that essay. You'll have to scroll up the page to the title "Where I Shall Dwell in the Next World" to read what Ellison has to say about getting his ideas in this way and you'll also find his story "Necro Waiters" http://books.google.com/books?id=V8GcnH431EMC&pg=PA181&lpg=PA181&dq=necro+waiters&source=bl&ots=-l89AnEZYE&sig=pxum30R4UzGlxUfl6Hl4fEBbvmg&hl=en&ei=I9WdTa2WHtG20QG5z_m9BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=necro%20waiters&f=false

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I hadn't read the Harlan Ellison quote before. Checking out the link>>>

sandra seamans said...

enjoy!