Monday, November 1, 2010

A Question

While reading an interview with Frank Bill http://mybfmblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/frank-bill-interview-103010.html a thought occurred to me. Of all the writers Frank named as country noir writers, only one was a woman, Dorothy Allison who wrote "Bastard Out of Carolina". Of course, when this book was published it was tagged as literary and not noir. So my question is this, are there any female counterparts for writers like Larry Brown, Kyle Minor, Pinckney Benedict and Daniel Woodrell?

4 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Flannery O'Connor.

sandra seamans said...

Yes, of course! How could I have forgotten her? Thanks, Bill!

Paul D Brazill said...

Joyce Carole Oates , based on her story in Needle #2, Julie Sumerell?

sandra seamans said...

Joyce Carole Oates? I've read some of her work, Paul, but never considered her a noir writer and the few stories I've read weren't really set in the country, at least not in the way I see country life. I'll check out Julie's story. I've got a copy of Needle 2 but haven't had a chance to crack it yet.