Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Noir

This past weekend NoirCon was in full swing down in Philly. Cullen Gallagher has an impressive rundown of the event over at his blog, Pulp Serenade http://www.pulpserenade.com/ And, of course, the NoirCon blog is also host to an amazing assortment of information about the con http://www.noircon.info/

Over at Do Some Damage, John McFetridge takes a look at noir and wonders if it couldn't be just a tad more upbeat. http://dosomedamage.blogspot.com/2010/11/upbeat-noir.html

Back again. Some days I just have these duh! moments. I still want what you consider the essential noir shorts but I should have added that Otto Penzler and James Ellroy have put together a collection of "Best American Noir of the Century". A very impressive collection, by the way.

While this isn't precisely noir, there are quite a few noir stories included in Patti Abbott's post asking for your favorite single author collection of shorts. There's quite a list. http://pattinase.blogspot.com/2010/11/your-favorite-collection-of-short.html

And just a silly noir note: blogger's spellchecker considers noir misspelled, their options are nor, Nair, coir.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

A couple of links here I want to check out. THanks.

Brian Lindenmuth said...

One of my favorite short stories (I suppose is noir) is Three O'clock by Cornell Woolrich. It's certainly filled to the brim with tension whether it's noir or not is up to the usual debates.

David Cranmer said...

Noir Nair may be difficult but interesting.

Sorry, Sandra. I'm stuck at the airport and the beer is flowing freely.

Paul D Brazill said...

Because I read it again today, Jake Hinkson's 'Makers&Coke'

sandra seamans said...

You're welcome, Charles!

I've read some Woolrich, Brian, but I don't think I've come across that story yet. I'm beginning to think that noir is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone sees the darkness in a different way. I love "The Payoff" by Stanley Ellin but I suppose most would see that as hard-boiled and not noir and yet its very darkness scares the crap out of me.

Sounds like you should stick to coffee once you catch your flight, David! Have a safe trip.

A very dark story, Paul!