Saturday, October 2, 2010

Plagiarism...Again

It was just a year ago that writer, Angel Zapata, discovered that he was being plagiarized by a person named Richard Ridyard. Through the course of his investigation he discovered that the man was using various other names and was even plagiarizing Stephen King and Lovecraft. You can read about that here http://arageofangel.blogspot.com/2009/09/ive-been-plagiarizedand-im-not-alone.html

What made me think about this? Because another writer has discovered his work is being plagiarized by a David Byron, who is selling the work through Lulu.com and Amazon. Rick Moore is asking for your help in discovering more about this "David Byron". If you have any information please drop it in the comments of his blog post http://thewriterandthewhitecat.blogspot.com/2010/10/pin-tail-on-this-plagiarist.html

It's hard enough being a writer without someone stealing your work.

10 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

I just feel sick when I learn about these things.

sandra seamans said...

Me, too, Naomi. How can you feel any pride in being published using someone else's words? And it's not like you're going to get rich doing it.

Ron Scheer said...

Hard to know the motivation of this particular person, but I think people do this kind of thing simply because they can. The reward may be simply getting away with it.

sandra seamans said...

I suspect you're right, Ron. The Internet makes it so easy for people to hide their true self that they think they can get away with anything.

sandra seamans said...

This new guy didn't just steal the idea, Conda, he stole the whole story, title and all, and published it in a collection of "his" stories!

Angel Zapata said...

Sadly, this happens so very often. I'll be stopping by the link you've provided. If only we could turn our pencils over and erase these miscreants...

Lee Hughes said...

It always puzzles me how these lunatics think they'll get away with it.

sandra seamans said...

Welcome to the Corner, Angel! Yes, it would be nice if we could just erase them.

I don't understand it either, Lee. If they're looking for fame and riches it's a stupid way to go about it because someone is bound to catch them.

Lana Gramlich said...

Oh, you know Rick...My bad!

sandra seamans said...

Welcome, Lana!! Not a problem, I read about his problem on Charles' blog and thought I'd add my 2cents as it concerns short stories. I hope Rick can nail this guy!