Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Question

When I first started this blog I wasn't sure where it would go or what it would even be about, but in those first few months I started posting links to online zines and markets for the mystery/crime genre. Over the last year or so, I've been kind of slipping away from that direction and posting markets to cover nearly all of the genres that publish short stories. Of course with most of the horror markets, crime can play a big factor or a smaller one in other genres. How your story unfolds is up to you and your characters, after all.

I've been finding that the more shorts I write, the more I'm experimenting in other genres, taking the stories to places that the mystery/crime genre tends to frown on. And I find this very exciting as I prefer that my stories not be bound by genre fences. Of course, that makes placing them a bit difficult - thus the pursuit of so many markets.

I guess, what I'm wondering is if you mind the postings of various genres? Does it get confusing having them all mixed together? Or maybe you'd prefer that just I stuck to what's suitable for the crime/mystery genre?

14 comments:

Al Tucher said...

Keep doing what you're doing, Sandra. Knowing what's out there has inspired me to try some cross-genre stories. Results are less than stunning so far, but I've had fun trying.

David Cranmer said...

You know me. Mix it altogether.

This blog is essential reading.

Lee Hughes said...

Keep on what you're doing, it certainly ain't broke. You posting markets in all genres is great for all of us who write in different genres. Keep at it!

Chris Rhatigan said...

Agreed--the mix of markets is good. Generally I write crime fiction, but I'm considering submitting to that Grand Mal Press "Hardboiled Horror" anthology--which I heard about through your blog.

You mentioned that you're going "places that the mystery/crime genre tends to frown on"--what kind of places would those be?

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, guys! And fun is the key, Al!

That would be outer space, Chris, I've been dabbling in sci-fi. Plus I have several characters that solve crimes but are "other-worldly", they just don't fit in the straight crime zines. And right now I'm trying to find a home for a story that reflects the aftermath of a crime instead of the crime itself.

Chris said...

Count me as another vote for mixing it up. You've turned me onto some great sources I never would have found otherwise!

Anita Page said...

I second what everyone else has said. You do a fabulous job, Sandra.

Naomi Johnson said...

You do a terrific job and I like seeing all the options you present. I've only written one horror story, and hey, who could know that would be the one that sold, while all my crime fic sort of just sits there?

Posting across genres, that helps me to keep an open mind about what I want to try next. Thank you.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, everyone, I love short stories no matter where they're published so I tend to go rather far afield. I'm glad you're enjoying the adventure with me!

Cormac Brown said...

Man does not live by bread alone, and neither should any writer. I like that you widen our collective perspective.

sandra seamans said...

It's fun finding other types of markets that will work for our crime stories, isn't it, Cormac.

Paul D Brazill said...

Keep on keeping on.We all have varies tastes, Im sure.

Fred Zackel said...

I just started reading your blog. (Well, actually I started reading it and have read your older posts back for about six months. So maybe ...) Anyway, thank you for all the work you've investing and continue to invest. Yes, I am trying cross-genre stories myself. Both in the novella length and in the novel length. It's very refreshing. Again thank you.

sandra seamans said...

Welcome to the Corner, Fred! Writing where you heart takes you is great fun!