Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Potpourri of Links

One of the hardest things for a writer is to find their own voice, to find the stories that belong to them. While Rochita Loenen-Ruiz's essay is about the Philippines and Filipino sci-fi, his take on finding the stories within us holds true for everyone. http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2010/07/21/finding-our-stories

Angela Slatter has the best thought about author platforms I've read in a while. You need product to sell before you need the platform to sell it from. http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2010/07/20/pondering-author-platform

With a hat tip to Charles Tan, I found this post filled with Australian markets, and yes, some of the calls are also looking for writers from the international community. You can check out the links here http://editormum.livejournal.com/246699.html

I don't know how many of you click on the links over there on the left, but for you newbie writers or someone who's just stuck and needs a little advice you might try Robert Gregory Brown's site, Casting the Bones. He has loads of essays about everything a writer needs to know about writing from getting the words down to getting published. http://www.castingthebones.com

Since finding Richard S. Wheeler's blog, I've become a regular visitor. I love that's he's been in the writing game for so long and is willing to share his thoughts and views. Today I read an essay about Montana's Literary life and had a peek into the world of James Crumley and his influence on the writers he met. Mr. Wheeler has also been pondering the difference between literary and popular fiction through a variety of posts but "It's Still a Mystery" seems to have nailed the difference pretty well. http://www.richardswheeler.blogspot.com Drop on over and read through some of his posts, you'll be the richer for it.

And just a bit of a brag. I'm in an e-book!! A very cool first for me. Jason Evans has published a book filled with the winners of the past twelve Clarity of Night contest winners. My story is "Civic Duty" which won third place in the Midnight Road contest. You can download the book for free at this link http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/2010/07/extra-bonus.html And not just for my story - the book is filled with excellent flash pieces!

4 comments:

Frank Loose said...

I read Mr. Wheeler's post on literary vs popular. Don't agree at all with his take on it. I posted a comment there. No need to carry it over to yours. As usual, thanks for the work you do in your blog. I know i can drop in and find several things of interest.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love Richard's site, too. He says what he thinks for better or worse. In real life, we might squabble but here we are a step removed from that.

Charles Gramlich said...

That is cool about the Clarity of the NIght book. I have a story in there too.

sandra seamans said...

It always makes me happy when someone finds something useful or interesting here, Frank.

I love how we get to meet people we'd never dream of meeting on the internet, Patti. And it's great to trade ideas and thoughts.

Hey, that's great, Charles, we're sharing pages!!