Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Post Conspiracy Notes

Do you ever feel like the universe is conspiring against you? The last few days have felt that way for me. We've had a rolling line of thunderstorms going through the area, with more expected today, which require the unplugging of the computer so it doesn't blow up. Then yesterday I spent an hour trying to get my printer back to working. Did you know that pushing cancel doesn't cancel anything? The darn thing kept printing over and over as many times as I'd pushed the print button on the computer. It finally ran out of print commands and it's back to working properly (and, of course, I've got my fingers crossed about this!) But, I'm still here and today, at least for now, the sun's shining and maybe I'll get caught up with my emails and posts and maybe get a story written.

End of whining. I've got a few links for you this morning.

Jersey Devil Press has closed to submissions until August 1. They're just taking a vacation, not closing shop, thankfully.

Did you know that the Rose and Thorn Journal took genre submissions? This is a non-paying market but the zine looks great and while they're a literary zine, they publish in all the genres. They're looking for stories up to 3000 words. You can find all the details at http://www.roseandthornjournal.com/

Looking through the Aurora Wolf site, I discovered that while they publish sci-fi and fantasy, they're also looking for private detective stories. So, if your PI is a werewolf or maybe a sorcerer, you're covered. http://aurorawolf.com/ The truth is, you don't have to look in the usual places to find markets for your mystery stories. And experimenting with mixing genres is good for the writing muscles.

I know that many of you are putting together collections of shorts for Kindle and some of the other reader device sites so I thought this essay, "What Sells an Anthology" might be of interest. Nancy Fulda takes a look at cover art and what might catch the reader's eye. http://nancyfulda.livejournal.com/258340.html

And lastly, J.D. Rhoades has started an interesting discussion over at Murderati this morning about story telling vs writing well. http://www.murderati.com/blog/2010/7/21/who-cares-if-its-well-written.html Should be interesting.

No comments: