Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Market Notes

There's a new issue of Yellow Mama out on the virtual streets. And no, I'm not in this one, but there are a lot of great writers that are! http://blackpetalsks.tripod.com/yellowmama/index.html

Over in the flash column there's a link to the sci-fi zine AlienSkin but, sad to say, after eight years of publishing this great zine, they're closing up shop. They've just published their last issue but their archives will remain open. They have published some wonderful articles about writing on this site. My favorite was one about why you shouldn't write a story from a dead man's point of view.

Over at Duotrope I came across a couple of new markets that look interesting.

"The Red Penny Papers" will post its first issue September 1 and will open to subs for their second issue at that time. That gives you lots of time to check them out and get a story ready if you're interested. They're looking for pulp stories with a speculative element and they adore werewolves, vampires and all your various yummy monster sorts. Short stories of 1000 to 5000 words will be paid a penny a word and serials from 10,000 to 25,000 will be paid $50 for 10k, $75 for 15K, and $100 for $20k stories. You can find all the details at http://redpennypapers.com/submissions/

The second market is a new podcast venture call "The Way of the Buffalo". They're looking for short stories under 3000 words in any genre and they'll accept reprints. The pay is a penny a word with a $10 cap. You can find the details at http://wayofthebuffalopodcast.blogspot.com

And on a personal note, I've just been elected president of the SMFS. I'm not sure if I'm thrilled or scared to death of the prospect.

13 comments:

David Cranmer said...

President! Congrats!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can't believe the interest in vampires, etc. still grows. It must say something about us but what?

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, David!

That we want to be sexy and immortal? Or maybe we just want to be The Count...one...two...three.

Charles Gramlich said...

I congratulate you and empathize with you for being elected president. An honor, but I can see why it would cause a bit of anxiety. I would feel the same.

Hamilton said...

Congratulations, Sandra. I'm looking forward to your presidency.

Barb Goffman said...

Congratulations, Sandra! Woo hoo!

David Barber said...

Thanks for the links, Sandra, and congratulations.

Kieran Shea said...

I'd be scared, baby. Quivering like a plucked canary on the nose of wolf.

Glenn Gray said...

Congrats and good luck, Sandra...

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Congratulations, Madam President.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, everyone! Welcome to the Corner, Kieran! And that's exactly how I feel! I'm just waiting for someone to turn on the fan.

Naomi Johnson said...

Congratulations, Sandra! I'd be thrilled and scared both m'self. But you'll do a wonderful job, I'm sure, and SMFS will want to name you Empress.

Paul D Brazill said...

As Sir Cliff once sang, CON GRAT U LATIONS!