Friday, April 23, 2010

Self-Promotion

This has got to be one of the best posts about how not to promote yourself and your book that I've read in a long time. "Please Cease and Desist" by Dana Kaye http://heydeadguy.typepad.com/heydeadguy

I know that when CrimeSpace first went live, I used to stop by there quite frequently, until everyone started hawking their wares instead of talking about writing and books. I've quit visiting blogs where every post became "buy my book" or "look, I'm a published author, buy my book". I've also been in groups where an author won't post unless they've got a book to sell. I've also had my email address swiped and then been bombarded with emails about someone's new book. I totally understand that you're under pressure to be the billboard for your book, but after a while those commercials just get annoying.

Please, tell me about your newest book, just don't beat me over the head with it! I'll bet you can just tell that this is one of the reasons I haven't written a novel. The fear that I'll become one of those desperate writers. I know there must be some middle ground a writer can travel that promotes their book but doesn't turn them into the Fuller Brush Man every time they open their mouth.

8 comments:

Chris said...

I think there is definitely a difficult line to walk, but you're right -- some folks can become downright obnoxious with self promotion. I generally don't mind it too much, but if it seems 100% one-sided I find it off-putting.

Twitter is an example. People who never respond to responses to their messages aren't people I'm interested in hearing from.

sandra seamans said...

It's such a fine line for the authors, Chris, and the obnoxious ones seem to make it that much more difficult for the ones who conduct themselves in a more business like manner.

Joe Barone said...

Not promoting. Just telling you that I liked your story in Needle and looked up your web site to tell you so.

sandra seamans said...

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do that, Joe. It's always great to hear that a reader enjoyed your story!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think the pressure comes from their editors, agents, publicity people. Although it seems to come naturally to a few.

sandra seamans said...

I think you're right about where the pressure comes from, Patti. I've heard writers talking about being told to get websites and blogs, go on twitter and facebook and on and on.

It took me years to work up the courage to start a blog. I can't imagine having to post in all those other places. I barely tell people about my shorts, I can't imagine the pressure that must go with having to sell a novel.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I an tell you, it's soul crushing. (Not me, of course My soul is thankfully intact).

sandra seamans said...

As is mine - writing shorts keeps you out of the mine fields of publicity.