Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anthology Calls

For those of you who write stories set in the Appalachian region, I found a pair of anthology calls on editor, Michael Knost's blog. http://michaelknost.blogspot.com Both anthologies will be published by Woodland Press.

First is "Specters in Coal Dust". This one is looking for coal mine ghost stories of up to 3000 words with an August 1 deadline. The pay is 5 cents a word. http://michaelknost.blogspot.com/2010/03/specters-in-coal-dust-submission.html

And the second one is "Appalachian Folklore: Dark Tales of Superstition and Old Wives' Tales". This one is looking for stories up to 2500 words with a September 1 deadline. The pay is 3 cents a word. http://michaelknost.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-anthology-guidelines.html

Naked Snake Press is resurrecting their online zine "Poe Little Things" as a twice yearly print and ebook anthology. The theme for the first issue is "In space no one can hear you scream". they're looking for poetry up to 50 lines and flash up to 1000 words. The pay is 25cents per line for the poetry and 5 cents a word for the flash fiction subs. The reading period is April 19 to September 20 with a fall publication. You can find the details at http://www.nspbooks.com/

The May 1 deadline is fast approaching for the Comet Press extreme creature anthology. DL Snell has an interview up on his blog with Comet Press editor, Cheryl Mullenax, if you're looking for some insight into what she's looking for in a story. http://marketscoops.blogspot.com/2010/04/sick-things-antho.html Their second anthology call for Zombie stories will be open until July 1 if you miss the first anthology. This is a paying market you can find out all the details at http://www.cometpress.us/guidelines

The ezine SubLit seems to have bit the dust as their website has disappeared and Duotrope has declared them dead.

And if you're considering entering Jason Duke's writing contest, the story links have started rolling in so you can check out your competition over at Paul Brazill's blog http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Jason Duke said...

Sandra, thanks for spreading the word about my contest. I appreciate your support. I tried looking you up on Facebook to send a friend request, do you have an account?

sandra seamans said...

No Facebook, Jason. I have all I can do to keep up with the blogging :-)

sandra seamans said...

And I forgot to add that it's always a pleasure to spread the word about anything short story related!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can't believe the pace at which people can knock off stories. Just out of curiosity, Sandra, how long does your average 3000 word story take you? I will say at least two weeks, working several hours a day.

sandra seamans said...

If I've got the entire idea in my head, I can write the story in a day. But...I ususally spend three days rewriting after getting the first draft down. Then I like to let it set for a day or two. If I can read through it without changing anything, it's ready to hit the road.

If I've only got a nugget of an idea, it will usually take me three or four days before I get the first draft down and ready for rewrites.

Rewrites for me are usually a matter of tightening the story and making sure everything points towards the ending.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I start every day from the first sentence and rewrite everything I've written. I wish I could break myself of this habit!! It makes for overworked first pages and underworked last.

sandra seamans said...

I tend to do that if I don't have a good idea of what the story is about. Writing habits are hard to break. I started writing in bits and pieces as I found the time and even now when I can sit down and write for several hours, I find my self still writing in bits and pieces. Instead of managing my time around kids and cows, I'm cooking, baking and tossing laundry in the washer and dryer.