Friday, March 12, 2010

Are Your Characters Alive?

One of the hardest things for a writer is creating characters who are more than cardboard cutouts or cliches. So, how do you breathe life into a character? Got me hanging, I'm still trying to figure that out for myself, but Jim C. Hines has a very interesting essay up on his blog that addresses this question.

The title, Strong Women Characters, is a bit misleading because the information Mr. Hines gives can apply to any character, male or female, that you're writing. As I read through the essay, I was doing a checklist in my head about the story I sent out a couple days ago. I think I passed! http://jimhines.livejournal.com/496348.html

Mr. Hine's essay was spawned by this essay http://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/08/18/why-strong-female-characters-are-bad-for-women/ which has some wonderful insights into writing strong well-rounded female characters.

So, how do you make your characters come alive on the page?

3 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

I try to put a real person behind and into most of my characters.

A bit challenging, but does make for very interesting writing.

sandra seamans said...

Basing it on someone real would give a writer a lot to work with, G. You'd just have to be careful nobody recognizes themselves ;-)

Tess Gerritsen had an essay over at Murderati this last week about using food and how a character eats to show who your character is. Other writers use brand names for clothing or furniture, the kind of house they live in.

I guess there's all kinds of ways to bring your character to life without even realizing it.

G. B. Miller said...

True, but that's half the fun of doing it. :D

The other half is making sure it doesn't sound too far fetched in the process.