Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Around the Blogs

Over at the BookFox blog http://www.thejohnfox.com/bookfox I found a link to an interview with John Grisham where he talks about his new book "Ford County" which is a collection of short stories. As Mr. Fox says in his post, it will likely draw some much needed attention to the short form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woX268iHjBk

There's an interesting essay called "Changing Gears" by Laura Anne Gilman at this link http://varkat.livejournal.com/122095.html I know I'm always afraid when I step into a story I'm not sure about, one that veers from what I know I can write, so it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Some very interesting thoughts about women and writing over at Poes Deadly Daughters this morning written by Sandra Parshall http://poesdeadlydaughters.blogspot.com/index.html and to quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I've got to say about that."

One blog that I enjoy stopping by every day is Do Some Damage where you'll find some very interesting thoughts on writing. But John McFetridge's piece about cozies back a week or so ago has really stuck with me. http://dosomedamage.blogspot.com/2009/10/why-louise-pennys-cozies-are-creepier.html What he finds scary about them, I find normal, maybe because I live in the country and know the workings of small towns. They're not the picket fence world that everyone believes them to be. Just like the big cities we have drug dealers, meth labs, adultery, murder and mayhem and that's a reality that most people don't seem to believe. If city folks knew the reality, they'd stay in the city rather than moving to the "peace and quiet" of the country. If I were to write about half of what goes on in my county alone people would be pretty quick to say that could never happen, but the reality is, it does. The trick is to write about it and make it seem real for the unbelievers out there.

9 comments:

Frank Loose said...

I see. We have the likes of Munro and Oates writing incredible short stories, but we need John Grisham to write some to draw attention to the form. Hmmmm.

sandra seamans said...

In the oringal post that I read, Mr. Fox compared Grisham's sales to King's. I guess the point being if they read the best sellers short stories they might check out shorts by other writers.

Frank Loose said...

I shouldn't have been sarcastic. I understand the point that Grisham is a big selling writer and people who might not routinely read short stories or have much enthusiasm for the form, could buy his book and be so entertained/moved/captured that they will embrace other authors/works in the short story realm. Hey, I'm all for it!

sandra seamans said...

I know, it's sad that we have to rely on the "best sellers" to draw attention to shorts when we have so many writers who excel in the the form being ignored. But, if his sales are good, maybe the others will have a shot at getting a collection out there. One can only hope.

Frank Loose said...

Excellent point, Sandra.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Bonnie Jo Campbell was just nominated for a NBA for her collection of very dark stories (AMERICAN SALVAGE) and from a small press (my university). Her book sales are through the roof. Surely this too points out the vibrancy of the form. Only a few years back, every nominee was a collection of short stories. We can only hope.

sandra seamans said...

There's always hope, Patti. I had a thought the other day about all the anthologies that were being published. Wondering if perhaps they might be the new form of short story magazines.

Conda Douglas said...

Sandra, so true about small towns, scary places--I grew up in one, so I know...hmmm, I feel a Halloween short story coming on...and your blog is an excellent place to find markets for same.

sandra seamans said...

And even if you don't get a Halloween story you might find a good horror market for it!