Thursday, June 4, 2009

It's Flash Challenge Day!

Here's my entry into Patti's Flash Fiction Challenge. You can find links to the rest of the stories at Patti's blog http://pattinase.blogspot.com/ or at Gerald So's blog http://geraldso.blogspot.com/ There's lots of good reading on them there blogs today. Have fun!!


SUSIE’S WAR
By Sandra Seamans

“Fucking, goddamn wedding dress,” said Susie. “Why in hell do I have to squeeze myself into this stupid piece of white lace frosting to walk down some church aisle to marry a man I’ve been living with for the past two years?”

Lillian Constantine stared up into her daughter’s face wondering how this young woman could possibly be her daughter. Susan had no grace, no taste, and absolutely no comprehension of her position as the daughter of the town’s premiere wedding dress designer.

“Because, Susan, you’re my only daughter and I fully intend to see you married in a proper wedding gown. You owe me that,” said her mother as she shook out the heavy folds of the pearl encrusted dress.

“I owe you? For what, giving birth? Any fucking whore on the street could do that and probably be a better mother than you ever were. All you ever cared about was this damn dress shop and sewing your “wedding dreams” into everyone else’s dress.”

“I did my family duty. I gave your father the children he required from our marriage. I had better things to do with my life than take care of a pair of whining, squalling brats,” she said. “Now close your filthy mouth and stand still while I finish pinning up this hem. I’ve sewn the wedding dresses of every woman in this town and I won’t allow my daughter to embarrass me by getting married in some shabby Salvation Army hand me down. You are going to do me proud for once in your selfish life.”

Standing, she walked around Susie, studying the dress. “Perfect. All that’s left now, is to design a veil that will showcase the dress.”

Susie tamped down her anger as she glared at her bridal self in the full length mirror. As always, with her mother, the dress was more important than the person standing in it.

*****

Her wedding day dawned warm and sunny, not even the weather dared to rain on Lillian’s carefully orchestrated arrangements. The church was flowered and beribboned with a beauty and grace only Susan’s mother could achieve. The pews were filled with a fine selection of the town’s upper crust, while members of the wedding party waited in the alcove to take center stage in Lillian’s production of the perfect wedding. The only thing missing was the bride and groom.

Whispers and fidgets spread through the church as the minister approached the pulpit. He cleared his throat as he pulled a piece of paper from his pocket.

“I’ve been asked by the bride to read this,” he began. “To all my friends and family. I’ve decided to have my wedding in a setting that is better suited to my mother’s finest creation. Pile into your cars and head on over to Sugar Creek Road. Follow the road until you come to the wedding cake. Park your cars, and partake of the lovely picnic supper that has been provided for your enjoyment. The wedding ceremony will take place at sunset. Sit back, relax and enjoy yourselves on this lovely day.”

Lillian was rigid with anger as she stepped out of the hired limousine. The beautiful wedding cake that she’d designed to match Susan’s dress was posed on a red and white plastic tablecloth covering a card table that had been placed in the middle of the road like a common road sign. Picnic tables were arranged under the shade trees and chicken, burgers, and hot dogs were being cooked over an open pit by the owner of Pete’s BarBie-Q Pit. Bottles of champagne, beer and soda floated in large tubs of melting ice, while the local DJ provided the music. Suit coats and ties were shed, sleeves rolled up and heels kicked off as everyone relaxed into the party atmosphere her daughter had created for them.

As the evening sun stretched its last lazy rays across the sky, all eyes turned towards the strip of knee-high grass that fronted the creek bottom. Susie stepped into the field on the arm of her grinning bridegroom. The coral and peach blush of the setting sun bathed her in a luminous glow. The long veil her mother had designed to frame the perfect wedding dress tickled the waves of grass and wildflowers, shooing sparkling dandelion fairy puffs into the air to dance around Susie’s naked body.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Sandra,
That's my kind of wedding, young lady! Thanks for letting me start off my day with a laugh!

r2 said...

I've met mothers and daughters who talk like that to each other. What a nice ending. I did not expect it at all. Very well written.

Paul D Brazill said...

Lovely stuff!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love it. It so perfectly captures the tension between mother and daughters over what the wedding will be.

Dana King said...

Well done. The tension between mother and daughter was real to me, and Susie's revenge appropriate and well set up. I also liked the description of the actual wedding location.

Iren said...

Nice, there is something just right about the story. I like the ruining of the parents perfect wedding-- there is a streak in my that wants to scream every time I see someone having the GI Wedding and not the one that they might want.

Corey Wilde said...

If Mom knew Susie, like we knew Susie...oh, what a gal.

Todd Mason said...

Very good worm (or cheek) turning story...I've always enjoyed the spectacle of those who are quite certain the world revolves about them when they learn better. If they do (they're still amusing even if they can't, as long as one doesn't need to live with them).

sandra seamans said...

Thanks so much for your kind comments, everyone!!

Cormac Brown said...

I love this on so many levels and it's not just the nudity. I'm sure retaking the wedding as it spirals into something else, goes through every couple's minds (guilty).

G. B. Miller said...

Perfect.

You gave that mother the kick to the gut that she desperately needed.