Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pulling My Head Out of the Keyboard

I've been wrestling with another Dakota Gideon story and today the pieces just fell into place, so I was pounding the keyboard trying to get it all down before it vanished into the corner of my brain that can't remember anything. Does that happen to you? You know, that brilliant flash of an idea and then poof!, it vanishes. One of the reasons there are pens and pads and scraps of paper in every room of my house. Some days it looks like a ticker tape parade just passed through.

Any hoo, I finally took a stroll around the Internet and found us a few open markets. That always makes for yippee-skippy moments. So here we go.

Not One of Us, url to the left, is open for subs for their next issue. They're open to all genres and lengths.

And a new one,to me, Fear and Trembling opened to subs on April 1st. They have a new issue up and they're looking for horror and dark fiction for their next issue and please sidestep the gore, they want atmosphere. And they bill themselves as Christian friendly. Here's the url http://fearandtremblingmag.com/contents.html/ I'll put this one in the links column later.

About a week or so ago I read a FlashShot by KC Ball that just blew me away, so I went looking for an email addy to drop her a note. I found her blog instead and dropped a comment and linked to her blog. She posts a few flash markets on her site but I also found that she's starting up a new flash zine called 10 Flash genre flash fiction online. The first issue is by invitation only and the site will go live with stories on July 1. After that, it will be open submissions. KC's blog link is to the left, here's the url for the zine http://10flash.wordpress.com/

And now a Snoopy Dance for friend of The Corner, David Cranmer. He has a story up in the new issue of Yellow Mama called "The Education of a Pulp Writer" which is also the name of his excellent blog. The url for Yellow Mama is to the left and there's plenty of great reading on the site - shorts - poetry - and flash. This should have gone live yesterday but I'd hoped to do a round of Snoopy Dances for David and the winners of the Twist of Noir Contest. Alas, the judges are still deciding and the winners won't be posted until tomorrow. So, my apologies for the delay, David.

And last, Brian over at Book Spot Central has started a new series called Conversations with the Bookless. He's planning on a thirty day run and there's already twenty interviews in the pipe. The first one went live today. Here's the url http://bookspotcentral.com/2009/04/conversations-with-the-bookless-sandra-seamans/
God knows why, but he started with me. There are many friends of The Corner in the lineup and I'll be sure to post the links as they come up. It's going to be a fun month of learning about other writers. Let's all do a big Snoopy Dance for Brian to thank him for all the hard work he's putting into this. Much appreciated, Brian!!

9 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Thanks Sandra! I sent that story in last year and now I'm deciding what I want to change about it. I heard Poe continually tweaked his stories long after they were published. (Not that I'm on that level:)

And I bought a Mini Dell that I carry everywhere these days for when inspiration strikes. I was losing too many scraps of paper.

sandra seamans said...

I do the same thing, David, always wanting to change something that's already published because I just know that it can be better.

David Cranmer said...

We will have to wait until our BEST OF collections are published.

Hey, I'm glad to hear Dakota Gideon is still around.

sandra seamans said...

Yeah, I've always liked Dakota, but sci-fi isn't my strong suit so I just play around with the stories. This one is a continuation of "Brothel Blues". I got such a sweet idea today, now I've just got to see if it pans out like I think it will.

David Cranmer said...

Good luck with yours.

I've had a sci-fi sitting around for about two years because I'm afraid of misstepping. Today driving back from Maine the story came together in my noggin'. Still, I'm afraid that ANALOG readers would think it's not heavy enough with tech references.

sandra seamans said...

It's the tech stuff that always bothers me, too. But some of the best sci-fi shorts I've read are more about the human aspect than the science.

I remember a short I read once where the leaders had an orb that could make everyone's souls switch bodies so the population couldn't fight against the leaders. I can't remember the title or the author but that story just stays with me.

And if Analog doesn't like your story you could always try AlienSkin.

Conda Douglas said...

Hey Sandra,

Thanks for keeping up on the markets, my, you're amazing! And FYI, I found out that Dark Recesses is still being pubbed, but reformated and now closed to subs.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks for the info, Conda! I'll keep an eye open for their reopening to subs.

K.C. Ball said...

Sandra:

Thanks for the mention. ;)