Friday, November 14, 2008

Watching Your Back

When you're a writer, you want nothing more than to be published, find an agent, and get a contract with a publishing house for that novel you wrote. That's the way this business works. The problem is, there are a lot of people out there who know how desperate writers are to see their books in print which breeds more scams than you can shake your contract signing pen at.

As writers seeking publication we have to proceed with caution. Take the time to check out that agent or publishing house, see who they publish and where. Better to err on the side of caution than jump in with both feet and sob over your saving account later.

I know, this isn't a very uplifting blog post but sometimes it's good to remind ourselves that writing, though a joy, is still a business.

And a quote from the book, "A Grave Talent" by Laurie R. King, which I just finished. The line was for a young painter but it works for writers, too. Excellent read, by the way.

"He told me that artists needed wide experience to do their art properly, that anyone who never looked up from the paper soon had nothing to draw."

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

That's a great quote... And your post is a needed reminder.

Anonymous said...

Sandra!

I didn't know you started a blog. :) Welcome!

I'm going to stop back and see what you've been up to. Also, thanks for the link! I would love to add one back.

sandra seamans said...

Hi David, Yes I loved that quote and it's so true.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks for the welcome, Jason. As for what I've been up to here, it's like the proverbial kitchen sink, a little bit of everything. And of course, I linked to your blog. Clarity of Night is the most peaceful place to visit that I know. And thanks for offering to link back, it's most appreciated.