Wednesday, November 5, 2008

RIP Michael Crichton

This seems to be the year of losing some of the best. I wasn't a big fan of Crichton's novels, probably because Sci-fi isn't a big draw for me. And yes, I consider most of his work science fiction. But back in 1968 I read a book entitled "A Case of Need" by Jeffrey Hudson. For me, this was a stunning book because it dealt with the issues of abortion before Roe v Wade and wrapped the whole story up in a murder mystery. I haven't read it in years but think now would be a good time to revisit this book. And if you're wondering, Jeffrey Hudson was Michael Crichton and this was one of the first books he ever wrote. RIP Mr. Crichton, you will be remembered.

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

My wife finished reading Next a couple of months ago and did a review on my blog. I'm with you on not being a huge fan but what I admired about him as a writer was his ability to interweave science with topical social and ethical issues.

sandra seamans said...

Writers who can weave issues into their stories are usually the ones who are remembered. Especially if they're not beating the reader over the head with their issues.

Barbara Martin said...

I read many of his books because he had a nice way of interweaving the science with the fiction without leaving the reader perplexed. A favourite was Timeline.