Friday, October 17, 2008

Embracing Rejection

Being a short story writer either toughens you or kills your love of writing. And you have to love writing in order to keep laying those words out and forming them into something someone actually wants to read. I shudder when I think of how many times I quit writing because a story I imagined was just "wonderful" was rejected by an editor. I shudder even harder when I recall those early stories.

Writers and editors have a love/hate relationship so intense that I'm surprised there aren't shooting sprees every other day at Editor Headquarters, Inc. Or sniper hits on that lonely writer sitting behind his computer screen.

When I submit a story, I fully expect it to be rejected. Odd way of looking at the submission process? No, because stories are a subjective thing. Maybe the editor sliced his hand while sawing his frozen bagel in half and had to get a dozen stitches, then he reads your story about the crazed killer with a butcher knife. He's probably not in the mood to keep reading about blood gushing from a severed artery. Now if your story was about the frozen bagel maker getting his, he might just bite. Getting the right story in the right place at the right time is just a matter of pure luck. Rejection is not personal.

Personally, I enjoy getting rejection letters. No, not those impersonal form letters, but the ones where an editor takes the time to explain what you're doing wrong and why your story isn't a fit for their magazine. That's how I, as a writer, learn how to improve my craft.

The best rejection I received was from a guest editor at Hardluck Stories. It was my first time submitting to Hardluck and when the story was rejected I asked Dave Zeltserman if he could tell my why. The story was one of my first attempts with "noir" writing and I didn't know if I'd failed to hit that noir mark or if the writing just plain sucked. Dave was kind enough to pass my request on to his guest editor, Trey Barker.

I expected a note saying that the story sucked. What I got was an in depth critique of the story. What worked, what didn't, and why. And the best piece of advice I ever got about writing was contained in that letter from Mr. Barker. He said that I had to learn to trust my writer's instincts. He pointed out places where I knew the story line wasn't quite right and had tried to fix it in the ending. Such a simple piece of advice and all contained in a rejection letter.

So embrace your rejections and learn from them. Throwing in the towel because one editor didn't like your story won't get the next one written or accepted.

Today's quote comes from B. Spock
"Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do."

4 comments:

Clair D. said...

Hi Sandra! Welcome to the blogosphere. I also expect each story to be rejected. Makes it easier, I think, then being disappointed when it does.

BTW, if you need any technical help with the blog, lemme know. I'm happy to help. =)

Anonymous said...

My first comment!!! Thanks, Clair. And yes, I'll probably be begging for help before I get done, so thanks for the offer of help.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Second comment. This is what I especially hate. You write a story. A very good venue, that you'd love to crack, said they almost took it but didn't care for the ending. The ending is the best part as far as I'm concerned. Now four more places have rejected it too. I still think it's a good story but there are only a few places left. Do I get rid of what I thought was its best element? If I trusted my instincts, I would say no.

Anonymous said...

Patti, I've come to the conclusion that there are just some stories that aren't going to find a home. If an editor asks me to change a story and I can see how the change will make the story better, I'll change it. Lots of times, if I set the story aside for a month or two after it's been rejected and come back to it later with fresh eyes, I can see a way to change it that might make it more publishable.